Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm going to be completely honest...

The main reason I haven't updated this here blog, is simply because I haven't quite figured out how. I am in no way techno-savvy, so here's hoping this works!
Riley has been gone for almost four weeks, and while it has been by far the hardest four weeks of my life, I have to admit that it has gone fairly fast.
I got my first bit of mail in the form of a post card. It pretty much said "I made it safe, and I'm having fun. Remember, no packages allowed. I'll write soon." A whopping five lines, and it was an absolute Godsend! Then, last week I got my first letter! I can't even tell you how exciting that was. I saw his handwriting, and could perfectly hear his voice in my head while reading what he had written. And of course, in true Riley form, he knew exactly what I would be needing to hear at the moment his letter arrived. I was a weeping mess, but my sweet husband is okay, he is brave, he is determined, and he is almost home! 28 more days folks!
Now, I figured to make this post worth reading I had to include a little story:
I pride myself in being a fairly strong person, and I think my family would agree that through all of this, I have kept my chin up for the most part. I know that Riley is doing just what he wants to be doing, and I have never been more thankful that he served a mission. Riley knows what its like to be away from home, and to rely solely on letters and our Heavenly Father.
However... I am not ashamed to admit that I did have my little "meltdown". You see, I now live in Bountiful with my wonderful parents who were kind enough to take me in and keep me company for these two months, along with my six siblings. Here in Bountiful, a spring snow storm consists of a solid two to three feet of snow.
Now on this given morning, my dad and brother had both already left for work and school, and my little Mazda Protege sat in the driveway (the very very steep driveway), covered in no less than two feet of snow. Being the determined person I am (and figuring that as a new Military Wife), I was certain I could be independent and get out of this little pickle on my own.
It started out wonderfully! I put the car in reverse and proceeded to execute a very controlled slide all the way down the driveway. Now, this is where my little story goes a bit sour. When I get to the bottom of the driveway, the car stops. I push my foot down on the gas a bit. Nothing. Spinning wheels. And nothing. Next, I decide that surely my car will go forward if not backward! Wrongo! More spinning wheels. I then think to myself "I know! I will push my own car out!" Genius. I open my door, plant my boot firmly (up to my knee) in snow, and begin to channel my inner Fred Flinstone, by pushing with my foot. Nothing. Shocker.
At this point, a bit of panic has set in, but the frustration is PLENTY of fuel to get me out of there! I remember that my Dad has a huge bag or some sort of foreign material in the garage. This bag is labeled "Ice Melt". Hmmmm. Don't mind if I do!
I throw the car into park, and hike back up the driveway for a shovel (seemed like it would come in handy) and the massive bag of Ice Melt. I then throw large handfuls of said material under the four (very very bald) tires and wait. Surely this crap will melt the ice in the next few minutes... nope.
At this point it is FREEZING, I am wet, and tired, and frustrated. So in my final act of desperation, I grab the shovel and go to work. The snow is really not going anywhere except on me, or where is was before. I am slipping everywhere, trying to keep my frost bitten hands (okay, not really, but they sure felt frost bitten) mobile.
The realization begins to sink in that no matter what I do, the car isn't going to move. So I slam the car door, walk back up the driveway, and into my mom's room, where I lost it. I just cried. I cried because my car way stuck. I cried because no matter what I did, I couldn't get it out. I cried because my husband was gone. And even if he wasn't, the car would still be stuck I'm certain, but atleast he would be here to make me feel better.
Thank heavens for my amazing mother, who was quick to lay me down, hand me a frosty beverage, and not tell me it was okay, but just tell me that it would be. She always knows just what to say.
Anyway, instead of making this my second, painfully long post, the story ends by my mom driving me to work red eyed and sniffling. And things have been much better since!
I appreciate all the prayers on mine and Riley's behalf. He is doing wonderfully, and I get to talk to him on the phone next week to get our orders! I can't wait.
But until then, here is an oldie but a goodie from the Honeymoon. Cheers to warm weather, and no more Ice Melt or shovels!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment