Friday, December 7, 2012

The Wedding

Riley and I got married on June 8, 2010. 6/8/10... clever eh?
It truly was our perfect day. 
I woke up that morning around 8:00, and we were supposed to be at the Temple around 9:00, so I was running a little late! After eating some breakfast, and brushing my teeth, my mom and I got started on my hair and makeup. Riley came to pick me up around 8:30. I remember him walking through the door in his suit. He looked so handsome, I couldn't believe today was the day and we were finally getting married! I was still sitting on the floor in my pajamas doing my hair, and I remember him saying something about "Dont rush. We have to be there soon. Ill just have something to eat. We should probably go soon. Dont hurry though..." 
I finished getting ready, grabbed my dress, my bouquet, and a water bottle and we got in the white truck and headed to the Temple.
We arrived around 9:15, so already about 15 minutes late. There was no parking ANYWHERE! I remember thinking it was weird, since it was a Tuesday morning. After driving around for another ten minutes or so, we finally just parked at the end of a row of cars (illegally), and RAN across the street to the Temple. I yelled to Riley my concern of getting a ticket on our wedding day, and his response was "The universe wouldn't do that to us! RUN!"
We went skidding into the lobby of the Temple, and walked up to the recommend desk. My mom and Dad were already there (apparently they found a parking spot, no problem...) and looked relieved that we had made it before our scheduled sealing at 10:20. When the old man at the desk asked for our recommends, I turned to Riley and asked him to get them out of the garment bag holding my dress. He unzipped the bag and looked around for a second, then informed me that they were not there. "Very funny babe, but we are already late. Grab them and lets go!" His face went a little red and he quietly said "No. They really aren't here." I remember my mom's Aunt Penny and Uncle Jim walking in right at that moment and it suddenly occurred to me that the ONE THING I was in charge of, I had messed up! All I was supposed to remember was the recommends! Big tears filled my eyes. My mom put her arm around me, and Aunt Penny reassured me that this happens all the time and the Temple workers would take care of it. 
After another ten or fifteen minutes, and at least a dozen phone calls to the Bridesmaids to do whatever necessary to find the recommends, a sweet old woman came up to me and said "I assume your Bishop will be attending the sealing? Why dont we just have him sign new ones?" For a brief moment, I wanted to yell "Why in the world didnt you say that earlier instead of letting me agonize and my poor fiance stress?". But I was just so happy there was a solution and I would, in fact, be marrying my sweetheart on that Tuesday morning after all.
We went into an office and the Bishop came down to sign our new recommends, then I went with my Mom, Riley went with my Dad, and we headed to the dressing rooms to get dressed.
Just before the sealing, we were taken into the Celestial Room. Just the two of us. And three other couples. But they didnt count. As far as I was concerned, it was just the two of us. We sat on this little couch and I remember Riley and I talking about how calm we felt. I can honestly say that never once, not one time, had I been nervous about marrying Riley. I just felt peaceful. And excited. He looked down at my hand and saw his ring on my thumb, then looked at me with a look of absolute panic. 
"I forgot the ring!"
"At home? Or here? Its no big deal, I have my engagement ring, we can just use that one."
"No, its in the locker room. Im going to go run and grab it. Be right back!"
And just like that, he went running out of the Celestial Room. Five minutes went by. Then ten. I tried to stay calm, but I remember thinking "What if he got lost? How can you get lost here? He knows his way around, right? Maybe he is as hungry as I am. Maybe he found us some food! Or someone he knows was in the hall?"
Just then, a Temple worker showed up and said "Stewart, Andresen sealing?" I responded that yes, I was indeed the bride of that party. But my fiance had gone to get the ring he left in his locker. The man looked at me with these "you poor thing" eyes. Im sure he though Riley had bailed. But he told me he would go look for Riley, and he back in a minute. Another five minutes passed and finally, my handsome man and this old dude came walking through the door. Riley had this half smile on his face. I think he knew I had started to get a little nervous. He grabbed my hand, winked at me. The same wink he gave me at his bootcamp graduation, and right before we were taken back to the OR for Mason's birth. It is a wink I have come to know well, and it is my favorite! Its Riley's way of saying "I'm good. You're good. We are ready. Lets do it."
I remember walking into the Sealing Room and feeling somewhat embarrassed. I wanted to say "So sorry to keep you waiting! We are a bit disorganized this morning. Does anyone have a bagel? Or perhaps just a TicTac?" But instead I just smiled and we took our seats on the little couch. I remember thinking to myself "this is it. In just a few minutes, you are going to be married." It felt so surreal. But everytime I looked at Riley, he was smiling too. We were both so calm and sure. I loved it.
The sealing was perfect. We were surrounded by all of our family and friends, and it was so amazing to feel everyone's support. We knew everyone in that room loved us, and was excited for us to be married.
Side note: My mother is a genius. After the sealing, while we were touching up my hair and makeup, that brilliant woman pulled a Ziploc of Cheezits, and a banana out of her Mary Poppin's bag. She seriously thinks of everything!
After we took pictures, we headed to The Lion House for a yummy luncheon with our immediate families and grandparents. It was so good, and my cute friends at the House even thought to bring up a Diet Coke from the basement. MMMM.
Finally, it was time for the reception! The party! Riley had been super involved with the planning since day one. And as silly as it is, I was just as excited for him to see the fruits of our labors, as I was to see it myself. It was PERFECT! Just what we had wanted. Good food, good people. 
After a brief ring ceremony, Riley and I greeted guests for about an hour and then cut the cake. I danced with my dad, then Riley and I danced to one of our songs. Then, by Brad Paisley. We were laughing the whole time, first because I wasnt wearing any shoes. So I was on my tippy toes the whole time. And second because the song seemed SUUUPER long. Then, the party began!
From the very beginning, Riley and I knew we wanted dancing. His friends are a bit crazy, I like to think my friends can bust a move with the best of them. But I dont think either of us knew how fun it would be. I remember looking around and literally EVERYONE was dancing! It was honestly the best night of my life. Then, my cousin, who was the emcee for the night, took the microphone and announced that it was time to do the bouquet and garter. I sat on a chair at the front of the dance floor, and then Riley took the mic and started to talk. I can quote word for word what he said. "On our first date, Sara and I danced to a certain song. And I told her I was going to sing it to my wife at our wedding. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would have been lucky enough to sing it to her." Then the music started. And I started bawling! Riley is not known for his singing, so first I was completely shocked that he would even do this! But then it hit me. Everything I had ever wanted had happened today. I had married this incredible man, who was truly perfect for me in every way. I was surrounded by all my family and friends. And it was really just a huge celebration. Everyone was so happy for us. I still get emotional thinking about it.
The night ended with sparklers, and a scooter ride. Then washing the truck before getting on the freeway because it was such a mess. Just as we started to drive Riley turned to me and said "That really was perfect."
Its crazy to me to think all of this happened almost three years ago! Time really does fly. But I can honestly say that I am happier today, than I even was then. Everyday I am thankful for the promises Riley and I made. And for the people who were so willing to give of their time and talents so selflessly to make our day perfect. 
Its funny. Looking back, I know Riley and I were sure of our decision. But since then I have gotten countless other reminders of why it was absolutely the right thing to do. 
Being away from family for these past two years, Riley and I have had to rely completely on one another. It has been such a good thing. We literally knew no one else, and it has been so fun to get to know each other on a whole other level. I can honestly say that Riley knows me better than anyone else.
We can tell each other a joke, and make the other laugh hysterically without even saying anything. We understand the other fully. I know how Riley is feeling and what he is thinking without needing to ask. Except what he wants for dinner. He rarely knows, how should I?
My favorite part of our relationship, is that we both genuinely feel we got the better end of the deal. I feel so humbled and blessed to have Riley, and I know he feels the same way. 











We work at our marriage every day, but I am so thankful. I am thankful for my knowledge of eternal families, and I am thankful that because of the promises we made that day, we get to be together forever. And have our little Mason, and whoever else may come along, with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment