Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Have a little faith...

So we arrived in Virginia on a Friday and after spending the weekend looking for housing, Riley had to report to school on Sunday evening and it was decided that Mase and I should spend the week in a hotel until Riley got some time off to continue the hunt.
The week was good. Mason has had a bit of a cold so it was nice to just hang out in the hotel and let the craziness of the move and everything else catch up with us.
Anyway, we had paid for the hotel through Monday, and when Saturday evening rolled around and we still hadn't had any luck with an apartment, the anxiety started to sink in a little bit. Of course, we wouldnt be homeless. We could stay in the hotel longer, but it was getting super expensive and we wanted to badly to stop living out of suitcases and settle in a bit and give Mason some much needed normalcy.
I really didn't want to take Mason to church. The doctor had advised us not to have the little guy in public for three months, and after having him in two airports (six states if you count the drive down!), and the grocery store a few times, I was feeling a little guilty. The kid already has a cold, and now I'm going to haul him in to Sacrament Meeting? Mother of the Year, right here!
Anyway, Riley had said a few times "I really feel like we should go to church. Someone will have an idea of where we can go." I, of course, was the Negative Nancy. What are the chances that we will just meet someone who knows of a fully furnished, month-to-month apartment that is close to the base, and in our price range? But I agreed to go, knowing very well that I could use a talk on faith.
The meeting was wonderful. The talks were great and Mason was a champ. Fussed for a minute, slept the rest of the meeting, and didn't fart or have any other bodily functions when reverence was present! Success!
After the closing prayer, the bishop walked right up to us, introduced himself, chatted for a minute, and then said "Well guys, have you found a place to live yet or are you still in the hotel mode?".
Riley explained that Mason and I had been in a hotel all week, and asked if the Bishop had any ideas for an apartment.
And then, the words I had been waiting to hear... "Actually, my second counselor has a studio apartment above his garage. I think it's vacant, let me find him."
Twenty minutes later, we had a home! It couldn't be a more perfect situation. Our apartment is teeny, but since Riley will spend a huge portion of time at school, we really just needed a kitchen, a bed, and somewhere for Mase and I to chill. It's great because it is right in our budget, and Riley and I both feel better knowing that on nights he is away, I will have someone I know just downstairs. And they just happen to be the nicest people in the world.
This week went from being stressful, and scary. To being a huge faith builder.
Riley, once again, knew what was right for our family. I am always thankful for how in tune he is, how close he is with The Lord, and how strong his faith is. He is the best example of prayerfully taking a step in the dark, and trusting Heavenly Father in times of uncertainty.
The Bishop somehow knew that this little family needed some help. He followed a prompting, offered a solution, and made sure we were taken care of.
So, lesson learned for me. Faith doesn't mean believing that things will work out. I knew all along that they would, I just didn't know how. Faith means to take action, to pray about the steps that should be taken, follow our promptings, and move foreword knowing all will be well.
Mase is pretty stoked about the new place too...
Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. You are the best Sara. I am in love with your blog by the way. Consider yourself stalked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmahgosh, Sara. I don't think I can ever get through your blog without crying. Seriously. I'm so happy for you two and I really really hope that everything is going well!!

    ReplyDelete