Monday, March 4, 2013

Co-Dependent.

I was chatting with a Navy Wife the other night about how hard it is to be away from our husbands. Not in the "poor me" sense, just in the "i want to be with him the time"sense. Her husband has been deployed several times for no less than 9 months at a time. Riley is gone exactly half the time, and home the other half. One would think that in the two years we have been in the Coast Guard having spent only 50% of the nights and days together, we would get used to being apart. But we haven't. Riley and I are co-dependent.
As I told this woman about the co-dependence, she said something that struck me pretty hard. "Aren't we lucky to have someone to need that much?"
At first I thought "Look, lady. I am independent. I am strong. I am NOT needy." Then I realized, yes I am. I need Riley. And he needs me. And I love it.
We cry when we have to say goodbye at the airport, every time. We avoid doing anything new, or seeing any new movie, or trying any new restaurants without the other, Because its just more fun together. I forget to fill my gas tank, and Riley knows that, so he does it for me. I know Riley hates green beans, so I don't put any on his plate. Riley brushes my hair for me, because he knows most of the time I get a kinked neck if I do it myself. It's taken nearly four years, but Riley really is like my right arm. Doing things without him never goes well.
We spend either two or five days and nights apart per week. And when he is gone I miss him more than I can describe. Especially when my hair is wet and snarly. But I love how much we need each other.
I love our routine.
I am thankful that we love each other more every day.
And I hate being away from him.
Co-dependence at it finest. For real.
So Riley Stewart, drive a little faster eh? I haven't seen you for almost three days. Things are going to get ugly.
XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Man, you guys are made for each other. So much love. Mason is a lucky boy to have a Mom and Dad like that. Glad to see life is good.

    ReplyDelete