Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mother's Intuition


Recently, a very dear friend of mine shared the fantastic news with me and she and her sweet husband are expecting their first little baby. She mentioned that she would be needing advice, and I thought back to that Sunday morning when Riley and I found out Mason would be joining our family, and the months leading up to his birth. And the 7 months since, really. It occurred to me that I have absolutely no advice to give. None.
The truth of it is, I have no idea what I am doing.
Now, I don't mean that to sound like a "poor me" statement. I am confident that when Mason cries, I can calm him. I can tell when he is in pain from teething, or fussing because he is hungry. I know when he has a tummy ache. I know peaches give him that tummy ache. I can tell if he is stirring and about to wake up, or just shifting for more comfort. I am a good mom. I just haven't the slightest idea what I am doing.
I find myself constantly asking other mothers, especially my own, for tips or input on parenting. Should he eat this? What is this rash? Does he feel warm to you? What detergent do you use? It's never ending.
Most recently my inquiry was about whether or not it is safe to put pillows in Mason's crib with him. I loved one of the responses I got. "Go with your gut, AKA: The Spirit."
Why has that thought never occurred to me? We hear phrases all the time about "a mother's intuition" but I never put that and the Holy Ghost together. Yet it makes perfect sense. Of course Heavenly Father would send His Spirit to guide us as mothers, or fathers for that matter. We are his sons and daughters, raising His precious little ones. Regardless of religion, or education, or whatever situation we are in, I believe parents are blessed to hear the promptings. He knew that in such a sacred calling, we would need to be close by.
My friend mentioned the peace she felt already as a brand spanking (not literally, im sure she would never spank her child) new mom. And she hit the nail right on the head. I feel like my brain (and my house...) is in constant chaos. Yet I still feel such a peace. Riley and I just do the best we can as parents. Sometimes we are right. Sometimes we are wrong. Like squeezing Mason into size three diapers? Probably wrong. Washing his poop covered clothes with our bedding? Wrong. For sure. But I am peaceful knowing Mason knows his mom and dad love him. I am confident that he is aware that we can meet his needs. And that peace comes because of the Spirit.
Just something to think about...
PS: We moved to Washington. There is a loooooong post coming soon.
Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment