Monday, November 7, 2011

Manhattan Mayhem!

Since moving to the East Coast, Riley and I have started a few new traditions... Frozen pizzas for lunch on Sundays (don't worry, we usually cook a nice meal for dinner), walking Bronx on the beach by our house (and going on a bit if a treasure hunt looking for cool things that have washed up in the bay), and watching Modern Family and Ridiculousness (don't judge) on the nights we are both home. My favorite recently adopted tradition has been our day trips to Manhattan to attend the Temple.
We usually pick up a quick breakfast and eat it on the Ferry ride over to the city. We are lucky enough to live just a half an hour away and with our military discount, the ferry is far more affordable and convenient (and fun) than taking the car and trying to find parking amid the mayhem that is New York.
We then catch a cab (or spend 20 minutes trying to) to Central Park, and since the Temple is just a few blocks past, we walk through to park and people watch a bit on the way.
The Manhattan Temple is so beautiful. It sits right on the corner of W 64th Street in a super busy part of town. It is so noisy and busy but the moment you walk in the front doors it is so quiet and peaceful. I think that's what I love so much about it, the peace amid the chaos.
After the Temple, we usually get lunch at this little gem of a restaurant called Carl's Steaks. We found the place while the boys were here visiting, and it is truly amazing and has quickly become one of my very favorite places to eat. There is nothing like a good Philly Cheese Steak, and until we moved here I hadn't experienced the bliss that comes with a cheesy greasy sandwich, and a Diet Coke.
We then stroll around the city a bit and head back to catch the ferry and get back to our little blue house in time for dinner!
I have loved spending this time with Riley. We have grown so much closer together since making the big move. I truly feel like he knows be better than I know myself, and I am so thankful that I will always have these adventures to remember our first couple years if marriage.
Here are some photos of our latest temple trip and walks with the canine.
Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I have only been to the Manhattan Temple once but it was so crazy how it was right in the middle of such a busy street and all those tall buildings! What a fun date to do with your husband! Will you send me your address girl? I NEED it to send your birthday treats and Christmas cards! I'm glad you are doing so well! Miss you and Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sara! it's fun to see pictures of you, looks like you guys are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete